Good day, 7 Scribes fans!
Calder Quinne here, stepping in for Casey Wyatt. She’s busy writing her next novel, Mystic Storm about Zephyr. Seriously, I don’t understand why the old wind bag, excuse me, God of the West Wind needs his own novel.
In case you don’t know me, I’m a demigod son of Ares and am madly in love with Nix, my sexy, sea nymph wife (see Mystic Ink for more details). Since my retirement from the Delian League (supernatural police force for all you newbies out there), I’ve become the proprietor of a bake shop – S’more to Love.
One thing I quickly learned was that women (and a lot men too) love chocolate with an almost fanatical obsession. Chocolate is worshipped to the point that I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn there is a Goddess of Chocolate -Ixcacao. Supposedly, she’s part of the Aztec pantheon, but no one’s seen her in centuries.
I’m here to share one of my wife’s favorite recipes. I can vouch these cookies will put a smile on any chocolate lover’s face.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margerine, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (if don’t have it, substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract instead)
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
1. Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter, milk, egg, and almond extract with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons on an ungreased cookie sheet. I use parchment paper – the cookies bake more evenly and it’s easier to clean. Remember to leave about 2 inches between the dough.
2. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until surface is no longer shiny. Another way to check for doneness – touch the center and if it barely leaves an indent – they’re done. Immediately remove the cookies onto a cooling rack.
Yield: about 4 dozen. But seriously, they won’t last that long.
Thanks for having me today. If you’re ever in Mystic, CT be sure to stop by and say hi. Remember to support your local businesses!
Got any questions? Shoot’em my way!