Here’s what you need to make Cal’s awesome cookies:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margerine, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (if don’t have it, substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extractinstead)
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
1. Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter, milk, egg, and almond extractwith an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons on an ungreased cookie sheet. I use parchment paper – the cookies bake more evenly and it’s easier to clean. Remember to leave about 2 inches between the dough.
2. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until surface is no longer shiny. Another way to check for doneness – touch the center and if it barely leaves an indent – they’re done. Immediately remove the cookies onto a cooling rack.
Yield: about 4 dozen. But seriously, they won’t last that long.