Happy Friday everyone. Casey here!
It happens to us all. Some more frequently than others. I know that I feel that sharp pang of panic more and more often than before.
We’re all strapped for time. In the case of the Scribes, in addition to being writers (with deadlines/goals), most of us have full time jobs, families and other responsibilities. It’s not always easy to whip up a blog post like a Betty Crocker cake.
Here it is, at the end of 2012 and I have the bloggy blahs. Yes, that is a technical term! So I figure, what better way to fight the blahs, then to offer some tips for combating total blog boredom:
1. Consider all ideas – no matter how crazy. Generally the Seven Scribes blog is focused on a writer’s journey, but all work and no play make Johnny crazy! It’s okay to deviate once in a while – mix it up. Please.
2. Tell a story with pictures. Some of our more popular posts are about what us Scribes do when we aren’t writing. Share something meaningful (and, no, that doesn’t mean TMI or ranting!)
3. Utilize guest bloggers. A word of caution – especially for writers – beware of guests who only do promo for their latest book and nothing else. Cultivate questions and encourage them to do more than talk about their latest book.
4. Don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s a blog. Chances are it’s not going to change the course of human events.
5. However, do remember that a blog can be meaningful to someone else and may touch them depending on the topic.
7. Size doesn’t matter. A blog post doesn’t have to be the length of War and Peace. I appreciate a short, pithy post. If I see a wall of words, I may just skip you (sorry, but there are only so many hours in the day).
And finally, when in doubt, do what I just did, blog about how you’re doing. If you’re struggling with something. Chances are someone else out there is too. Ask for help. Most everyone loves to offer suggestions and maybe you might learn something new or solve a problem.
How do you combat blah-dom? Please share your tips, tricks and suggestions!