Hi there! Number One Kid here! I’ve hijacked Mom’s blog while she is in Chicago selling her book, Real Virtue, at the RT Booklovers Convention. While the big cat’s away, this little cat is here to play!
So, what does a girl talk about when she has carte blanche on her mom’s blog? (Without getting grounded, of course.) She talks about what it’s like to live with a writer, that’s what.
Here are my top ten observations:
10. Practice makes perfect! When following your dreams, never give up practicing. (Thanks, Mom, for this one. I won’t forget it no matter what I am striving for!)
9. Thinking about writing is NOT doing it. (I hear this one a lot—usually when she is driving me to all of my sport activities which is then keeping her from her writing. Once again, thanks, Mom!)
7. Being an artist, I’ve learned from watching my mom that writing and drawing are related. While Mom is describing the human anatomy, I enjoy drawing it. (Get your minds out of the gutter! I mean people! I enjoy drawing people. Check out my latest drawing. What d’ya think?)
6. This one I’m still a little bummed about. I’ve learned just because you’re in the family, doesn’t mean you’ll make it in the book. In Momma’s new release, her character, Mel is a gamer. I made myself her “go-to” person on everything virtual. The character Cassie was based on me! I was so excited! Until Cassie had a run-in with the delete button.
3. This one goes along with number four. Remember! Their characters are real to them. Just nod and go along with them when they are telling you what so-and-so is doing today. And still, don’t admit them to the hospital!
2. I can’t stress this one enough. An “Enter at Your Own Risk” sign should not be taken lightly. Even if you’re bleeding, DO NOT DISTURB! (First Aid classes will help with this situation. You will need to learn how to stitch your own wounds.)
1. “Get out of here!” means I love you. “Get the heck out of here!” means I really love you.
I love you Mom! I wish you the best success in selling your book.
And PLEASE, do not ground me…
Number One Kid